Monday, September 28, 2009

Max





Max was my part of the deal when Ben wanted to get a motorcycle. He got a motorcycle, I got a cat. Hannah and I found him at Shute Park in Hillsboro at a concert. A cute family was giving away free kittens. We picked out the orange, short haired one of course. It's family tradition.

He is great with kids and very patient. All four kids tote him around and he is always available for a warm blanket, a rub and some TV time.

When we moved into our current house, 4 years ago. Max went missing for many days. We were all panicked and Hannah said a prayer for his safe return. He showed up in the middle of the night scratching at Hannah's window. It was a real testimony builder for us all, especially Jeff and Hannah.

Just recently, he went missing again. Jeff said, "Well prayer worked last time. Let's try it again." Hannah said the prayer and within 10 minutes he showed up." No lie! The kids and I were shocked and relieved.

Tonight, Max was crushed in the garage door and died. It's been a rough night with the kids. Hannah burst out in tears immediately, along with her mother of course. Jeff kept it in till bedtime where he poured his heart out to Ben. It was a great teaching moment about the resurrection. Jeff said the family prayer tonight. "Please bless Max to be happy in heaven. Please help him to find Jake so they can play together." Amen.

Thanks Max for all the fun years, great mousing and warm cuddles on the couch. You are loved.

13 comments:

Joyce said...

Yep, I'm crying. Sometimes when cleaning cat boxes out or putting up with cats waking us up at night I know it's easy to think that life might be easier without them - then it happens and you're sorry you even thought about that! I've still got the note I attached to my computer monitor when Rosie died. Maybe it will help you too. "Don't cry because it's over now, laugh because it happened." Sorry guys. I sure like Max. Love ya.

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news. My parents' dog died a few months ago. This year for my dad's birthday cards ALL the girls decided to draw pictures of Suzie and Molly even wrote a song about her. (She's four - it was, um, awesome.) It was pretty strange but the girls all thought it would cheer their grandparents up. We're thinking of you. Let us know if you need some cat cards for your birthday. I guarantee the song will make you laugh.

the meyersons said...

Love you to pieces. Jake definitely found him. Max is in good hands.

Jackie said...

Oh no! I'm so so sorry you guys have to go through that.

Losing a cat is awful... hang in there!

Beth said...

That is so sad! I'm so sorry for you and your kids. Great stories and pictures.

Dina said...

Oh, Stace, I'm so sorry for you guys! I loved my pets growing up so much and know how your kids must feel. :(

Janessa Couch said...

Oh no, I am so sorry. It is so hard when a pet dies. When we had to put our dog down last year, it was one of the hardest nights ever with the kids. It is wonderful that we know about the resurrection and that we understand it and that we teach our children this at such a young age. I hope that things get better soon, it took about a week for Lindsay to stop crying every night.

Tammy and Mike said...

I hope your broken hearts heal quickly. That is a very hard thing. I loved reading the stories of Hannah and Jeff praying for the Max when he would roam. In my mind I can see Hannah's reaction after having her prayers answered. It reminds me of when we were out on the lake with you guys this summer. Hannah would giggle everytime she saw the sun breaking through the clouds because she prayed for sunshine. That was my favorite part of the day. I giggled right along with her.
The LARGE cat-loving part of my heart goes out to you!

Rachel said...

I dont even really like cats but I got a little misty reading this! So sorry! Hopefully your skies will be blue again soon!

Emily said...

So sad Stacey...Animals grow on you and you don't realize it until they aren't around for awhile...

We still have one proven mouser kitten available if you are interested. She has little white feet but she is calico...not orange and white.

Tiera said...

Oh that is so sad! Even for a non-cat person like me. I'm so sorry.

Jen said...

I'm so sorry for you guys. I remember Hannah just lugging Max up and down the stairs, just like Olivia. I hope he is happy in kitty heaven.

Kim said...

Oh that's so sad!!!!! I love the pictures. I hope the kids get better!